How to Prepare for IELTS Listening Test?
Prepare for IELTS Listening Test
IELTS is a pen-paper based exam. The total test time is 2 hours and 45 minutes. The listening, reading and writing tests are taken together. The speaking test may be on the same day or after or before other tests. When you prepare for IELTS listening test, you must keep few things in mind. IELTS Listening and Speaking modules are common in both Academic and General Tests. The IELTS Listening test is a half an hour test. This section takes 30 minutes to complete and it consists of four subsections. At the end, you will get 10 minutes to transfer your answers to the answer sheet.
The IELTS Listening Test is a test to check your listening skills. You need to read all the way through the questions during the test and then listen. Listen carefully because you will get only one chance to listen to the recordings. Try to jot down the answers to what you are listening as at the end of the test you will have a short time to use your notes to answer the questions. All these are tips by trainers which you can best practice in the best IELTS coaching centers in Delhi.
Below are some tips to prepare for IELTS listening test:
- Listen to the materials you get and read the instructions very carefully before starting
- You will get to listen to the recordings once only, so concentrate.
- There is a 30 seconds break between each listening, utilize it to carefully read the questions
- Get an idea of the context. Try to calculate the type of information you need.
- You will get time to check at the end. So just write what you hear while listening to the questions.
- Don’t stop listening because you think you’ve got the answer. Be attentive.
- Don’t panic if you’ve missed an answer. Move on to the next question fast.
Generally, the listening modules get more complex as you proceed.
- Prepare for shorthand writings: When you prepare for IELTS listening test, practice being quick and concise. The IELTS test will allow you to listen to the recording only once so you will not have time to record everything you hear. So the best way of recording everything is short hand writing. Also it will help you remember it more. Practice this more when you prepare for IELTS listening test in the best IELTS coaching centers in Delhi. Along with that practice this at home by writing while listening to TV or music, etc.
- Learn Multitasking: You require reading, writing and listening at the same time. You are expected to be able to do all these in ease. And best way to prepare for IELTS listening test is to practice. Sometimes you may be better able to focus on one or another. Read and listen, then write down what you need to as an individual activity. This may seem a difficult scope, but if you learn multitasking it won’t be much problem to you. So along with practice in listening, practice writing as well.
- Note the Grammars and spellings: Even if it is a listening test, the final answers would be written. So you must give importance to grammars when you prepare for IELTS listening test. Also ask your trainer to keep check on spellings or else you will lose marks. English can be difficult sometimes. Like the difference between accept and except may seem difficult to understand. So, use whatever method of study works best for you, be sure that you are confident in yourself for spellings. If you have problem with any word, then try to use effortless words in your answers. Also, you can find an alternative word, or a synonym.
Other than the above tips which will help you to know more about IELTS while you prepare for IELTS listening test, you must look at few more things.
- Think in English: One point where all expert agrees is this. When you start thinking in a particular language, you will learn the language more. Many students of English often try and translate everything in their heads. But it is a slower process. Also you remember your language and often forget the English. On the listening exam you won’t have time to translate. Also, you’ll have to remember key English words. So, when prepare for IELTS listening test, try thinking in English.
- Concentrate: Before you learn anything, learn to concentrate. It helps a lot in focus. Focus allows you to pay attention when you try to prepare for IELTS listening test. When you are focused, you will understand the information you are hearing and then writing it down. So concentration is important for your brain to give enough attention to the. Try also to understand your examiner, this will relax your brain and help you focus better.
- Do not stress and Do your best: When you know that you have given your best to prepare for IELTS listening test, you will be confident. If you are not sure of an answer, skip it and come back later. Another tip that can be given is to make a blind guess (Disclaimer: Only when you do not at all know the answer).
Supported with all the tips above, you will be able to prepare for IELTS listening test very well. You will also be ready complete the qualification. If you take the time to prepare for IELTS listening test, practice and study, and if you join a good IELTS training institute in India, you will definitely succeed. Follow these tips but above all, remember stay calm and relaxed and confident and you will do fine.
Along with all these, it is suggested that you take advice from IELTS coaching center in Delhi.
IOA Global would suggest you to invest some time understanding what you need to help you meet your professional and educational goals before you spend your money. We will know your requirements and help you take necessary steps towards your goals. Visit IOA Global or call at 011-491461461/ 9654544247.